[TEAM] Modifying the minimum required RAM

Eero Tamminen oak at helsinkinet.fi
Tue Jan 24 19:59:58 UTC 2017

Hi,

On 01/24/2017 11:29 AM, Dave Pearson wrote:
> Just ran some tests on yesterdays Zesty 64bit ISO on a Virtual Box VM set for
> 1GB ram.
>
> Even with the slight performance loss on running on a VM, I was working
> acceptably with File manager, Firefox (two tabs) Gnome software, terminal and
> Calc (slight delay on Calc straight after swapping from Software to Calc, but
> after a few second that stopped.
>
> But looking at 'Top'  Gnome software and Calc were the biggest memory uses.

I think that's just because they map a lot of files, it's
not real memory usage.

Instead of "top", use e.g. this tool:
	http://packages.ubuntu.com/yakkety/smem
	https://www.selenic.com/smem/

And look at the PSS information.

(PSS information changes depending on how many apps are running
as unlike RSS & VmSize, it takes memory sharing into account.)

> I usually do my iso testing on VM's with 2GB of ram, and while you do get a much
> better perforamce with 2, those people who will be using older hardware with
> 1GB, would know not to expect to run loads of apps at once and expect a fluid
> performance.

Most of the apps are fine in 1GB even if you run a lot of them.

Only things like www-browsers, LibreOffice and manipulating large images
e.g. in Gimp are really memory hungry.

(Real-time video editing is already otherwise too demanding for
these machines. :-))

	- Eero