Fwd: Proposal: removing net-tools from ubuntu-minimal in 17.04

flocculant flocculant at gmx.co.uk
Sat Jan 14 19:19:00 UTC 2017

just in case

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject: 	Proposal: removing net-tools from ubuntu-minimal in 17.04
Date: 	Sat, 14 Jan 2017 10:27:13 -0800
From: 	Steve Langasek <steve.langasek at ubuntu.com>
To: 	ubuntu-devel at lists.ubuntu.com

Hi all,

Starting last month, Debian has been discussing dropping net-tools[1], which
prompted me to review its status in Ubuntu.  This package, which provides
various commands like ifconfig and netstat, is currently part of
ubuntu-minimal.  However, the tools in this package are largely considered
superseded by iproute2, providing 'ip' and 'ss' tools that interface much
better with modern kernels.  And iproute2 is also part of ubuntu-minimal.

Is there a reason to keep net-tools in ubuntu-minimal, or should we remove
it from the minimal set for 17.04?  Packages / flavors that want it can
still depend on it (which they should technically already be doing anyway).

[1] https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2016/12/msg00604.html