Suggestion: Replace Evince with Atril

Pasi Lallinaho pasi at shimmerproject.org
Mon Nov 14 20:43:58 UTC 2016

A few comments from my point of view - inline.

On 2016-11-14 16:51, Thanos Apostolou wrote:
> As far as I have understood, the desired effect is to keep the ISO as small as
> possible, so some people wouldn't like it to have both software (I think that
> the latest xubuntu release didn't even include a media player).

Xubuntu was indeed shipped with a media player – Parole. No media
manager was shipped, though.

There are reasons why we won't ship two document readers (for example);
at any point, the most important point is that it doesn't make sense to
duplicate functionality. Size is lower down the list, especially now
that we aren't close to any target size that we can't cross.

>   So, maybe it
> would be better if someone of the xubuntu team could create a poll at the
> facebook page https://www.facebook.com/xubuntuusers/?fref=ts
> Since it's just a facebook page (and not a group) I think that a facebook app
> is needed in order to create a poll. Or maybe it's easier to create something
> similar at the google+ and twitter pages (I don't use them so much so I have
> no knowledge about it).

I don't think a popularity poll is the right way to figure out
applications the Xubuntu team should ship with the ISOs. At least I'd
value a thorough technical investigation along with a broad discussion
with arguments on which application is more suitable for Xubuntu more.

That implies that discussion from the community is welcome on the
subject, just not in a shouting contest kind of way (which is how polls
often turn out).

Ultimately, the default applications are just good defaults – as
mentioned in the thread, it's easy to install (and uninstall) software.
Now the hard part is to figure out what the best application is for
majority of the users (or at least the biggest subgroup if no option
turns out to be the best for most).

Has anybody else tried out Atril?

Cheers,
Pasi