Fwd: Zesty live images will no longer have .pyc files stripped by default - flavour developers please take note

flocculant flocculant at gmx.co.uk
Fri Nov 4 12:09:38 UTC 2016

For information

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject: 	Zesty live images will no longer have .pyc files stripped by
default - flavour developers please take note
Date: 	Fri, 4 Nov 2016 11:29:53 +0000
From: 	Iain Lane <laney at ubuntu.com>
To: 	ubuntu-release at lists.ubuntu.com

Dear flavour developers,

For a long time, we've been stripping .pyc files from live images in order to
save space. This is a speed-vs-space tradeoff, as non-byte-compiled Python code
on the live CDs will run slower.

Ubiquity (the installer) has code to regenerate these files when you install
the system, so the installed system does not suffer from this tradeoff having
been made.

Towards the end of the 16.10 cycle, we reviewed our position[0] to see if it
still made sense in an era where most of our images are less space constrained.
On an Ubuntu Desktop live CD, the saving is approximately 19 MB. Unfortunately
I don't have good numbers for the speed gain, but it is noticable on slow
systems. We consider this an acceptable cost for faster app startup, and so for
Zesty we have inverted this default and made .pyc stripping opt-in instead of
opt-out.

This is an announcement to make flavours aware. If you wish to opt back in,
please reply to this email or raise a merge proposal against lp:livecd-rootfs.

Cheers,

--
Iain Lane                                  [ iain at orangesquash.org.uk ]
Debian Developer                                   [ laney at debian.org ]