Why Council? (Was: Proposal for the Xubuntu Council)

Pasi Lallinaho pasi at shimmerproject.org
Mon May 16 08:43:34 UTC 2016

On 2016-05-16 07:47, odm wrote:
> Hi,
>
> - Possibly, everyone "actively" involved in the Xubuntu Project knows,
> why the "Xubuntu team" think it  favorable to have a "Xubuntu
> Council", instead of a Xubuntu Project Lead. As an outsider, (by my
> choice by the way) I do not. I wonder if others have similar
> questions, as to why this action is thought to be an improvement too.
> - Would anyone care to take the time to expound on the benefits of a
> Xubuntu Council over a Xubuntu Project Lead?
> - In any event, I hope the best decisions for the governance of the
> Xubuntu Project is chosen. I hope all goes well and, the best path for
> all is forged.
>
> Kind Regards!
>
> mikodo

Throughout the history of the project, the team has been having more or
less difficulty finding a single person to lead the project (the Project
Lead).

Even if one or two people stepped up for the election (I'm pretty sure
this would happen if we were forced to elect a new Project Lead), they
would be signing up for a lot of work, including some bureaucracy and
other usually non-desired tasks. The council approach lets us split this
work between three people and make sure it's done in a timely manner.

I hope this answers your questions.

Cheers,
Pasi

--