Bug #1536353 (Many Epson printers no It's possible that the reason a package is removed from the repositories is because it wouldn't work with other package versions in the release.longer work as of 16.04)

Richard Elkins richard.elkins at gmail.com
Tue May 10 16:09:35 UTC 2016

Pasi,

I know that lsb is not maintained by Xubuntu; it was part of the Ubuntu
core up until 15.10.  I wrote to this list because I am a Xubuntu user
and I was once active as a tester.

Aren't we at all concerned that users who have Epson printers might be
leaving Xubuntu, Lubuntu, etc.?  I had to convert someone's laptop to
Linux Mint Debian edition just to get that individual reconnected back
to an Epson printer.  The various *buntu release notes could have warned
Epson printer users that they should consider finding a new distro which
includes the lsb packages.  This was a total surprise for Epson customers.

Yes, it is possible that the reason a package is removed from the
repositories is because it wouldn't work with other package versions in
the release and still meet the release date requirement.  Someone could
have explained that.

I am not affected because the printer-driver-escpr package is a good
enough solution for my Epson XP-410 and the way I use it.  However, if
this issue is not addressed, then I'll try to find time to explore lsb
myself but this is difficult given my personal time being donated
elsewhere for the last 2 years.

Richard