i386 EOL plans for Xubuntu?

Elizabeth K. Joseph lyz at ubuntu.com
Tue Jul 12 21:46:41 UTC 2016

On Tue, Jul 12, 2016 at 2:28 PM, Pasi Lallinaho <pasi at shimmerproject.org> wrote:
> Even with some inaccuracy, we can come to a conclusion that the 32-bit
> images are still largely used. Thus I don't think there is any reason to
> drop them - especially as keeping them isn't extra work anyway.

Agreed. As the Xubuntu team member responsible for a large chunk of
our social media interactions with our user communities in those
spaces, I can confirm there are many users in our community who still
use older machines (largely Pentium 4 era), as well as atom
processor-based systems like netbooks which are 32-bit only.

> However, to me, reaching consensus implies that there is some kind of body
> of people who need to reach the said consensus. For Xubuntu, this is
> obviously the Xubuntu team. In the future, it would be nice if this was
> taken into consideration, not jumping into conclusions and action after a
> few mails from random people on the mailing list.

I'd also appreciate more time before consensus is declared and
reported. Most of us work full time jobs unrelated to Xubuntu. A
single weekday is not enough time for us to collect data, come up with
conclusions and chime in. I had this thread pointed out to me and
emergency-spent my lunch break just now writing this since it was
moving so quickly.