i386 EOL plans for Xubuntu?

Bryan Quigley bryan.quigley at canonical.com
Mon Jul 11 18:23:08 UTC 2016

Hi Xubuntu team,

>From the thread on Ubuntu-devel/discuss [1] I'm going to start
conversations with each flavor on what their plans are for i386 in the
18.04 timeframe.  I have some survey results [2] that might help with planning.

The general ideas are either:
*Start Dropping i386 for Xubuntu now*
A. Drop Xubuntu i386 ISO for 16.10
B. In addition to A, also block upgrades by dropping packages from
i386 archive (say xfwm4, but that would need to wait for other derivs..).

Some Pros:  Halves the test cases you need to go through.   Reduces
bandwidth usage and makes it more obvious for new users what to
download.  (Read other thread for some others)

*Wait until after 18.04 and then reconsider dropping i386*

Pros:  Maintain older hardware running Xubuntu for another 2+
years (up from 3 years).

Thoughts?
Bryan

* You could consider any packages that are 100% specific to the
Xubuntu flavor.  I'll be reaching out to Mythbuntu and Ubuntu Studio
separately.

[1] https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-devel/2016-June/039420.html

[2] The total results for Xubuntu  (48 of the 300 responses - Second
most responses).

How long do you expect this machine to last?
at least 1 year - 3
at least 3 years - 18
at least 5 years - 16
at least 7 years or more - 11

What would be the effect if support ended... (1 is no impact, 5 is
significant impact)
April 2019 (16.04 LTS support ends here for Xubuntu - 3 year LTS)
1 - 5
2 - 6
3 - 8
4 - 9
5 - 17

April 2021
1 - 10
2 - 8
3 - 12
4 - 8
5 - 7

April 2023
1 - 23
2 - 8
3 - 6
4 - 5
5 - 4

i386 - To be clear I mean any 32-bit x86 platform (usually AMD/Intel/VIA).