[TEAM] Gathering "testimonials" for marketing purposes

flocculant flocculant at gmx.co.uk
Mon Aug 8 16:41:27 UTC 2016

On 08/08/16 16:07, JMZ wrote:
> I don't mind a Xubuntu LTS-only policy so long as a few other Ubuntu
> flavors maintain intermediate releases.  Have other Ubuntu flavors
> discussed going to LTS only?  With intermediate releases, it's
> possible to mix and match different ppa's to create hybrid systems.
Even 'if' there was an LTS-only policy then there will always be a
development version.

No-one is going to sit back and then suddenly in 2 years wake up, get
together, test *stuff*, hope that people test it (which is about where
we are - people don't) then suddenly be in a position to release something.

> For example: I download newer kernels at a faster pace than 16.04 LTS
> through the canonical-kernel-team ppa.  I've set this ppa to yakkety.
> I'm at 4.6.x now versus 4.4.x.  I prefer downloading kernels ahead of
> the curve. I don't mind having to fix a few minor faults now and then
> to maintain a more advanced kernel system.
I grab kernel's from -proposed, I do no more than what's just around the
corner.

> I've always thought that LTS was for users who prefer stability over
> experimentation.  Experimenters like myself do exist, however.
> Perhaps Xubuntu is not right for me because most Xubuntu users would
> be better served by LTS only.  Perhaps it is time for an
> experimenter's xfce environment to leave the Canonical suite and
> become its own distribution.
LTS is for those users.

Experimenters can join in the dev version almost as soon as the latest
release releases.