Vivid QA incentives report

Pasi Lallinaho pasi at shimmerproject.org
Sat May 16 13:09:25 UTC 2015

On 16/05/15 15:47, Paul White wrote:
> On Sat, 16 May 2015, at 13:00, xubuntu-devel-request at lists.ubuntu.com
> wrote:
>
>> We still need to increase participation in QA, but we need to think of
>> better ways to encourage participation. Acknowledgement and
>> recognition given by members of the Xubuntu team should be part of
>> this. Perhaps an email from the project lead thanking them for their
>> work when we notice someone is doing a lot of testing, or mention that
>> they've done good work on social media or a profile of them on our
>> site. These kinds of surprise, non-mechanical tokens of gratitude go
>> much further than some stickers they won for competing for most tests
>> completed. Speaking for myself, these kinds of non-stuff rewards
>> certainly have motivated me in the past. Thoughts?
> As one of your "sticker" winners I was very surprised that my rather
> small contribution qualified as a the winning contribution but looking
> at the QA Tracker I could see that I was one of just a few non-Xubuntu
> team members recording their tests.
>
> Although I did record a couple of installations onto actual hardware the
> bulk of my tests were for live sessions, both 32 and 64-bit, running not
> only the documented test cases but also making sure that certain other
> applications and functionality was working correctly very much as if I
> was using Xubuntu for the first time. As you know the QA Tracker gets
> littered with "bug icons" which simply alert users to the existence of a
> bug but hide the bug description. Holding the mouse pointer over each
> icon to find out which bug is being represented is tedious and I'm
> really not interested in knowing that a bug has been reported for a KDE
> application if I'm testing Xubuntu, like wise a Xubuntu/Xfce specific
> bug doesn't interest me if I'm testing for Kubuntu. Obviously the QA
> Tracker is not going to change in the near future to make things easier
> for testers of specific flavours but I would be very interested to hear
> how things might be made easier for testers. Might this also help
> attract more testers or increase the testing of existing testers?

There is some development ongoing on the tracker(s) and the tooltip
issue is one of the high priority ones (on at least my list). However,
this is another community project with virtually no Canonical
(programming) manhours assigned, which has been slowing the improvements
down.

If you have other issues/bugs with the tracker that aren't already
reported [1], I would love to see you file a bug [2] and/or tell about
your issue on #ubuntu-quality.

> The Kubuntu Team have their Trello board where certain tasks can be
> allocated and commented on. How about something similar for Xubuntu such
> as an etherpad where known bugs can be recorded and comments added? Any
> potential bug fixes could be posted and moved around depending on their
> importance. Once bugs have been fixed or problems resolved, items could
> then be removed. The etherpad would therefore be a summary of
> outstanding issues.

The Xubuntu team used Trello for a cycle or two, but ultimately we
decided against continuing it for the broad coordination.

Instead, we're using the Launchpad blueprints (for the Vivid cycle, see
[3] and all of it's children under the dependency tree) of which are
automatically gathered under status.ubuntu.com [4] (for Vivid: [5]).
Does this help with the organizational aspect - or the apparent lack of it?

> I'm suggesting this as I'm often at a loss what to test for. I'm
> inundated with emails from various lists which I read at various times
> of the day on various devices and by the time I get around to do some
> testing at the weekend I've forgotten about the most important items.
>
> Anything that can highlight current testing requirements would be of
> great help to me and I'm sure to others.

Cheers,
Pasi

[1] https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu-qa-website
[2] https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu-qa-website/+filebug