Reorganizing content on Xubuntu.org

Elizabeth K. Joseph lyz at ubuntu.com
Fri Jun 5 22:25:12 UTC 2015

On Wed, Jun 3, 2015 at 3:48 PM, Pasi Lallinaho <pasi at shimmerproject.org> wrote:
> GET INVOLVED
> The Get Involved page needs some reorganization and a change of focus.
> Currently, we focus on the three tips and then continue with subteams.
> Since we communicate a lot and often, we should instead emphasize our
> communication channels – the IRC channel and the developer mailing list.
>
> The subteams are somewhat awkwardly grouped and make no sense (any
> more). This will require a few redirections from the IS but I'll happily
> handle the requests and follow-ups.
>
> An early draft for the new page can be found at [1]. Please note that
> you need to log in to the website in order to be able to access this
> page. Members of the Xubuntu team and/or website team can do this.

This looks great, thanks for working on it!

re: social media, we should probably link to
http://xubuntu.org/contact/ so people know where to find the social
media accounts. In general, I'd reword to to say:

"Finally, feel free to join and/or follow our social media accounts to
engage with other users and help the team shares stories, development
news and more. You can also join the Xubuntu users group at
Launchpad."

> MENU STRUCTURE
> Currently, we list both "The Team" and "The Community" as top menu
> items. The content inside these is a bit overlapping and it's hard to
> say where you should find some of the information in some cases.
>
> Option 1: xm-community-ph.png
>
> Since we want to emphasize the community instead of the team, I propose
> we change the menu item "The Team" to "The Community" and group the
> following subpages under it (in the following order):
>   – The Team Blog
>   – Get Involved (moving from "The Community")
>   – Contact Us
>   – Developer Area (new, add when content is ready)
>
> "The Community" should be renamed to something else, but I don't know
> what yet (ideas welcome). In any case, the subpages under that would be
> (at least) the following:
>   – Products
>   – Donate
>
> I'm unsure where the "Resources & Assets" subpage should fall into yet –
> it's possible that it shouldn't even have it's own menu item.

If we go with this one, I think "Resources & Assets" would be under
yet-to-be named (maybe "The Project"?).

However...

> Option 2: xm-community-developer.png
>
> If the developer area seems to grow, grouping all the abovementioned
> menu items under "The Community" is possible, with the exception that
> the Developer Area menu item would become another top menu item.
>

> DEVELOPER AREA
> The developer area is still work in progress. Content that could/should
> fall under it:
>   – Team calendar (currently unlinked)
>   – Current development cycle, including stuff like links to appropriate
> blueprints, the work items tracker etc.

I prefer this one too, it makes more sense to my brain, and The
Community really is all these things. It's good to have development as
its own subset because that seems to be very specific beyond what we'd
generalize as community-focused.