Discussion: GIMP in the default seed

Pasi Lallinaho pasi at shimmerproject.org
Thu Jan 29 18:36:05 UTC 2015

On 2015-01-29 12:05, Alistair Buxton wrote:

> On 28 January 2015 at 23:47, Pasi Lallinaho <pasi at shimmerproject.org
> <mailto:pasi at shimmerproject.org>> wrote:
>

>     I've used MyPaint myself, but I don't really consider it a fair
>     replacement for GIMP. You can create fancy looking stuff with it,
>     but it's clearly geared towards digital painting, not image editing.
>
>     Krita is KDE/Qt, so that makes it pretty much out of question.
>

> Krita is also a digital painter.
>
> I would be against replacing ristretto with something that tries to be
> both a viewer and editor. The image viewer should load instantly and
> handle multiple instances gracefully, which rules out things like
> shotwell and gthumb for me.
>
> --
> Alistair Buxton
> a.j.buxton at gmail.com <mailto:a.j.buxton at gmail.com>

As I discussed in IRC with Bruno yesterday, we aren't looking to drop or
replace Ristretto for now.

As for what comes for image viewers/photo collection managers, I don't
think those are generally a suitable replacement for GIMP; with them,
you can't create new images or image compositions, only edit/polish
existing ones. That said, I would consider that ability a requirement
for the replacement for GIMP, if any are up for consideration.

Cheers,
Pasi

--
Pasi Lallinaho (knome)                » http://open.knome.fi/