Discussion: GIMP in the default seed

Pasi Lallinaho pasi at shimmerproject.org
Wed Jan 28 23:47:40 UTC 2015

On 2015-01-29 01:40, Bruno Benitez wrote:
> I think that the basic use of an image editor for a standard user are
> the ones signaled on the tables on the comparison page [1], Croping,
> Adding text, Rezise, Rotate, Navigate Folders. The only thing a good
> image viewer still lacks on linux is adding text, thats the only thing
> from the list that only Gimp could bring. My case is to get rid of
> both Gimp and Ristretto and leave an image viewer with basic editing
> capabilities like gThumb[2] or Shotwell[3]. As stated by many before
> anyone who would need more can get any of the available image editors
> in the repositories. If what we are looking is to give a tool so
> anyone can rapidly start drawing on a xubuntu install, there are
> simplier yet powerful tools like MyPaint[4] and Krita[5] that could
> also be considered.

The list of standard features that are mentioned on the wiki are still
valid.

After moving Ristretto in and out (and lastly, in) and messing around
with gThumb, I'm pretty sure we've "figured out" our image viewer needs;
we should keep Ristretto for now and focus on the image editors. If we
change the image editor, maybe the image viewer issue can be brought up
again after that.

I've used MyPaint myself, but I don't really consider it a fair
replacement for GIMP. You can create fancy looking stuff with it, but
it's clearly geared towards digital painting, not image editing.

Krita is KDE/Qt, so that makes it pretty much out of question.

--
Pasi Lallinaho (knome)                » http://open.knome.fi/
Leader of Shimmer Project             » http://shimmerproject.org/