Discussion: GIMP in the default seed

Bruno Benitez gridcube at gmail.com
Wed Jan 28 23:40:31 UTC 2015

I think that the basic use of an image editor for a standard user are the
ones signaled on the tables on the comparison page [1], Croping, Adding
text, Rezise, Rotate, Navigate Folders. The only thing a good image viewer
still lacks on linux is adding text, thats the only thing from the list
that only Gimp could bring. My case is to get rid of both Gimp and
Ristretto and leave an image viewer with basic editing capabilities like
gThumb[2] or Shotwell[3]. As stated by many before anyone who would need
more can get any of the available image editors in the repositories. If
what we are looking is to give a tool so anyone can rapidly start drawing
on a xubuntu install, there are simplier yet powerful tools like MyPaint[4]
and Krita[5] that could also be considered.

[1]
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Xubuntu/Roadmap/Specifications/Oneiric/DefaultImageEditor
[2] http://packages.ubuntu.com/trusty/gthumb
[3] http://packages.ubuntu.com/trusty/shotwell
[4] http://packages.ubuntu.com/trusty/mypaint
[5] http://packages.ubuntu.com/trusty/krita

> OK, first of all, sorry for the shortness of my contribution. Allow me to
> explain a bit.
>
> We are thinking about standard on the go users who run Xubuntu Live,  I
> think GiMP is a great tool for editing and creating photo projects. But
> games, lets be truly sinceres, we dont run it live to play, am I right? So
> thats why Im thinking we use GiMP and LibreOffice, someone pointed that
> Abiword is quite buggy and it is indeed. GNUmeric is a good tool but
> comparing vs LO Calc, it loses. Sorry for the english, not my native
> language. Have a great day.

> Hi,
>>
>> On torstai 29 tammikuu 2015, David Bermúdez Guiot wrote:
>> > Gimp should still be shipped,  however I don't think games should be
>> > installed.
>>
>> Why?  What's your reasoning?
>>

>> Btw. Is it possible to have Software Center front page seeded with things
>> that people may want to install first (things like LO, Gimp,  etc)?
>>

>>         - Eero
>>
>> > Gmail Service Powered by Android
>> > Since we are discussing about other choices in the default seed already,
>> > it feels like the perfect time to bring yet another discussion to the
>> > table:
>> >
>> > Do we want to keep shipping GIMP?
>> >
>> > For some background, the team has discussed the issue [1] and gone
>> > through various simpler alternatives [2] for GIMP a few times* in the
>> > past, but no suitable candidate was found.
>> >
>> > Do we think there is a suitable, light and easy-to-use alternative for
>> > GIMP now? Should we simply drop GIMP altogether and not replace it?
>> >
>> > Discuss.
>> >
>> > Cheers,
>> > Pasi
>> >
>> > [1]
>> https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/xubuntu-devel/2011-July/007864.html
>> > [2] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Xubuntu/Roadmap/Specifications/Oneiric/
>> > DefaultImageEditor
>> > * Most of this isn't archived in an easy-to-access way
>>

>> --

> David Bermúdez Guiot
>
> +52 2281 128758
>
> Xalapa, Veracruz, México.