Discussion: GIMP in the default seed

David Bermúdez Guiot davidb.guiot at gmail.com
Wed Jan 28 23:23:27 UTC 2015

OK, first of all, sorry for the shortness of my contribution. Allow me to
explain a bit.

We are thinking about standard on the go users who run Xubuntu Live,  I
think GiMP is a great tool for editing and creating photo projects. But
games, lets be truly sinceres, we dont run it live to play, am I right? So
thats why Im thinking we use GiMP and LibreOffice, someone pointed that
Abiword is quite buggy and it is indeed. GNUmeric is a good tool but
comparing vs LO Calc, it loses. Sorry for the english, not my native
language. Have a great day.

> Hi,
>
> On torstai 29 tammikuu 2015, David Bermúdez Guiot wrote:
> > Gimp should still be shipped,  however I don't think games should be
> > installed.
>
> Why?  What's your reasoning?
>

> Btw. Is it possible to have Software Center front page seeded with things
> that people may want to install first (things like LO, Gimp,  etc)?
>

>         - Eero
>
> > Gmail Service Powered by Android
> > Since we are discussing about other choices in the default seed already,
> > it feels like the perfect time to bring yet another discussion to the
> > table:
> >
> > Do we want to keep shipping GIMP?
> >
> > For some background, the team has discussed the issue [1] and gone
> > through various simpler alternatives [2] for GIMP a few times* in the
> > past, but no suitable candidate was found.
> >
> > Do we think there is a suitable, light and easy-to-use alternative for
> > GIMP now? Should we simply drop GIMP altogether and not replace it?
> >
> > Discuss.
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Pasi
> >
> > [1]
> https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/xubuntu-devel/2011-July/007864.html
> > [2] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Xubuntu/Roadmap/Specifications/Oneiric/
> > DefaultImageEditor
> > * Most of this isn't archived in an easy-to-access way

David Bermúdez Guiot

+52 2281 128758

Xalapa, Veracruz, México.