Discussion: Default office applications

Peter Rauhut dabeor at gmail.com
Wed Jan 28 21:32:10 UTC 2015

Is it crucial to have a default office application at all? I would
imagine anybody who is new to Linux would be happy just having access to
Mousepad as a GUI text editor in the menu and having the option during
install to download LO or other similar packages. An office suite seems
like a pretty big space use for installation media to have. For LO's
download files , just Writer (77.6 MB to download) and Calc (83.6 MB to
download) is a pretty big jump in size compared to Abiword (4.4MB on
disk) and Gnumeric (6.6MB) on disk. If having them is crucial, I'd like
to see Abiword and Gnumeric stick around.

Honestly, though, I can't imagine why they are needed. I can't see any
use cases where a person who needs them won't either know how to install
them or already have it installed by the people who set up the computer
for them. Almost nobody needs to start editing spreadsheets as soon as
their computer starts up for the first time.