Discussion: Default office applications

Elizabeth K. Joseph lyz at ubuntu.com
Wed Jan 28 20:32:41 UTC 2015

Hi everyone,

We've had this discussion a few times in past cycles, but as we
continue to bump into bugs in Abiword[0], the topic has come up again.

How are we feeling about our default choice of Abiword and Gnumeric as
the office applications for Xubuntu? Is it time to consider switching
to LibreOffice?

I'll note that in the past the pro-LibreOffice users tended to
dominate these discussions. Feel free to speak up, but we're actively
encouraging the folks who use and prefer Abiword and Gnumeric to speak
up too. How would changing the default impact you? Do you feel
strongly about not switching to LibreOffice?

Thanks everyone.

[0] One of the latest that came up during testing:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/abiword/+bug/1395323