Installed Games

Dave Dodge dododge at dododge.net
Wed Jan 28 15:17:58 UTC 2015

On Wed, Jan 28, 2015 at 11:17:46AM +0200, Pasi Lallinaho wrote:
> shipping Steam isn't sensible with any distribution. Only the amount
> of data we would need to ship with every download is beyond insanity
> – just to install a few games the user might or might not play once,
> let alone talking about several times... And who could guarantee
> Steam/the games even work on their boxes?

It's even worse than it sounds, because the way Steam solves the
compatibility issue is by supplying its own Linux runtime.  It
basically has its own /lib and /usr/share directories hidden away, so
that its games can use those instead of relying on the OS to provide
everything.

This makes it easier to package games for Steam delivery, but it
requires a lot of space.  On my system ~/.local/Steam is currently
around 2 gigabytes for the client and runtime(s), *not* counting any
games.

                              -Dave Dodge/dododge at dododge.net