[TEAM] ISO target size

Daniel Mehrmann daniel.mehrmann at gmx.de
Wed Feb 11 17:30:25 UTC 2015

Am 11.02.2015 um 15:22 schrieb Pasi Lallinaho:
> While the media size is one of the concerns, it's not the only one.
>
> Download times are an argument for keeping as small as possible; the
> smaller our ISOs are, the less time they take to download. Of course,
> if something is considered essential, then it can be added, but the
> starting point should be to not include anything that isn't essential.

Well, basicly you're right of course. But if i'm looking to europe, the
last defined internet connection bandwith at home by the european
commission was 4 mbit. This was somewhere 2006. 2014 the european
commission upgraded the target size to 30mbit(!) for a average internet
connection at home.
I think we don't need to talk bandwith in north america or for example
japan. Well, about africa, i have to admit, i have no sizing ideas.

What i'm trying to say is, that is internet bandwith is growing very
fast and we're at a point, where we should looking forward and no longer
backward. Yes, you'll find special cases with a small internet
connection always, but the most of them (>90%) shouldn't have a big
problem if the iso size up to 2 GB.

Yes, i'm voting for a "somewhat" below 2 GB iso size.

Regards
Daniel