xfpanel-switch, a backup and restore tool for panel configurations

Simon Steinbeiß simon at xfce.org
Sat Aug 8 20:44:46 UTC 2015

Hey everyone,

this has taken a bit to release, but a few days ago Sean Davis pushed out version 1.0 of Xfce Panel Switch, a Python GUI tool to easily backup and restore panel layouts/configurations. The tool is based on a commandline tool developed by Alistair Buxton (thanks ali1234!).
For now the code is hosted on Launchpad, because we're aiming to include it in Xubuntu 15.10 to get some feedback/testing, but if things go well, we will also (optionally) integrate this in the panel's configuration dialog.

We do have some plans to further improve it (e.g. currently it kills and restarts the panel for loading new configs, this will hopefully later be done on the fly), but for now we're hoping that it basically does its job. If not, please don't hesitate to report bugs and send patches!

So if you wanna give it a spin, feel free to grab it from here [1]
https://launchpad.net/xfpanel-switch

Cheers
Simon

[1] Basically do this:
bzr branch lp:xfpanel-switch
./configure && make && sudo make install
Then you can launch xfpanel switch from the settings manager.