First call for translators - Xubuntu packages translations

David Pires slickymaster at ubuntu.com
Fri Oct 31 16:16:23 UTC 2014

Hi everyone.

With the start of the Vivid Vervet cycle [1], it's time to start working on
translations for the various packages and applications provided by the
Xubuntu team.

With the goal of making it easier for new people to jump in contributing,
we put up a list of translations that are important for Xubuntu [2].

The list consists of several projects the Xubuntu team maintains and/or are
important for Xubuntu, namely:

   1. packages that only exist in Xubuntu
   - https://translations.launchpad.net/xubuntu-docs
      - https://translations.launchpad.net/xubuntu-default-settings
      - *https://translations.launchpad.net/ubuntu/vivid/+source/ubiquity-slideshow-ubuntu/+pots/ubiquity-slideshow-xubuntu
      <https://translations.launchpad.net/ubuntu/vivid/+source/ubiquity-slideshow-ubuntu/+pots/ubiquity-slideshow-xubuntu>*
       [3]
      2. packages that exist outside Xubuntu, but are mainly built to fit a
   need in Xubuntu
   - https://translations.launchpad.net/lightdm-gtk-greeter/
      - https://translations.launchpad.net/light-locker-settings
      - https://translations.launchpad.net/menulibre
      - https://translations.launchpad.net/mugshot
      3. packages that are used by Xubuntu and provide essential features
   to the Xubuntu experience
   - https://translations.launchpad.net/catfish-search
      - https://www.transifex.com/projects/p/xfce4-whiskermenu-plugin/

Being the most important, our primary targets for translations are the
packages in the first list item and two further calls will be held through
out the development cycle.

If you've never contributed a translation before and your native language
is not English but you have really good English skills and are comfortable
using software in English, you can make a huge contribution by helping to
translate the Xubuntu applications into your native language.

Before you start translating, we recommend joining the Ubuntu-translators
mailing list [4] to keep up with notifications about important translation
template updates and to stay in touch with other Ubuntu translators.

Cheers,
David Pires (slickymaster)
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/slickymaster
Xubuntu Documentation Lead

[1] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Xubuntu/Roadmap
[2] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Xubuntu/Processes
[3] The page will only be available once there is an upload and changes to
its content are likely to happen towards the end of the cycle
[4] https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-translators