Call for Testing - MenuLibre

Sean Davis smd.seandavis at gmail.com
Tue May 13 12:04:03 UTC 2014

Greetings everyone!

I've been working diligently these past few weeks to fix all of the
bugs that popped up in MenuLibre after Trusty was released.  I've been
testing my fixes out in a few virtual machines and I think the program
is release-ready now.  I'm reaching out to all of you for a bit of
variety in the tests.  So, if you'd like to help out, here's what I
would like you to do.

Just to avoid any variation with other libraries, please perform this
test on an up-to-date trusty (14.04) installation.

First, backup your files.  If you don't do this, you will lose your
custom launchers and any launchers installed locally.
You'll want to make a backup of the following directories to preserve
your current menu layout:
~/.config/menus
~/.local/share/applications
~/.local/share/desktop-directories

Second, remove your current menu structure.  There were some issues in
the previous release that led to corrupt menus... we want to clean that
up.
rm ~/.config/menus/xfce-applications.menu
rm ~/.config/menus/applications-merged/user*.menu
rm ~/.local/share/desktop-directories/*.directory
rm ~/.local/share/applications/*.desktop

Next, install the latest MenuLibre daily from the PPA:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:menulibre-dev/daily
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install menulibre

Finally, start menulibre and get to editing.
menulibre

Here's the changelog for this release.  If you want to verify the fixes
and new functionality, that'd be great.  Otherwise, let me know if
there are any quirks.
- General:
  . Strikethrough is now used to make separators look better
  . Window is now properly centered at startup
  . Fixed all instances of
   Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_tree_model_get_iter: assertion 'path->depth >
0' failed
  . Updated translations
- Bug Fixes:
  . Enable X-Xfce-Toplevel at any time when using Xfce (LP: #1309468)
  . Install menulibre icon to pixmaps directory (LP: #1307469)
  . Do not save menu layout when in search mode (LP: #1306999)
  . Restore expanded/collapsed menus after finished searching (LP:
#1307000)
  . Properly support spaces in the Exec line (LP: #1214815)
  . Conflicted directory label for xfce-settings.directory (LP:
#1313276)
  . preprocess_layout_info: assertion failed (LP: #1307729)
  . Moving launchers to another category do not save immediately (LP:
#1313586)
  . Enable saving a launcher any time a field is modified (LP: #1315878)
  . New launchers are replaced with existing ones when removed (LP:
#1315890)
  . Launchers in new directory have X-Xfce-Toplevel category (LP:
#1315874)
  . Add launchers to empty categories (LP: #1318209)
  . Implement xdg-desktop-menu uninstall to prevent leftover items
   (LP: #1318235)
  . menulibre save changes confirmation dialog is handled wrong (LP:
#1307481)

Thanks for all the help and bug reports!
Sean (bluesabre)