Default apps discussion - this was Re: Trusty QA quick recap and look forwardHi,

Chris Lucas cdlucas4 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 24 13:58:29 UTC 2014

While I agree with the value in attracting WinXP refugees, my opinion is
that release decisions (default apps, styling decisions, etc.) shouldn't be
made based on what "might" make them more comfortable.  I feel Xunbuntu
should stay Xunbuntu and continue to make decisions in that spirit and
mindset.  I feel that if the focus is purely on creating the best version
of Xubuntu, people will either like and use it, or move on to something
else.

Let Zorin OS worry about being a Windows clone.  Let Elementary OS worry
about feeling Mac-esque.  It's an entirely different topic, and my own
estimates, but most Windows users are more likely to migrate to a pirate
copy of Win7 than anything.

I would hate to see Xubuntu release a distro that gets so tied up in trying
to attract new users that it becomes something less than it should be.

Keep the bar on top.  Decide on default apps using the same methodology
that had worked so far. Don't pander to WinXP users.  Those are my votes.

Thanks

Chris