"File lense" like applications for xfce/xubuntu

Mike Holstein mikeh789 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 24 14:39:34 UTC 2014

On Jun 24, 2014 9:58 AM, Edwin Günthner <edgue at web.de> wrote:

> Hello xubuntu folks,
>
> I did check the mailing list archive for for keywords like "synapse" ...
couldnt find any; so I hope that this topic is "new" and worth discussing
here.

> I consider moving from ubunut/unity to xubuntu/xfce (actually running a
xubuntu desktop for some weeks by now). The one thing
> that is really missing for me: fast access to files. The unity file lense
remembers all the files I touched lately (probably using zeitgeist) ... and
it is
> extremly helpful. Instead of opening up a file manager and navigating
directories; I just press windows-f and start typing parts of the file name
> (most of the time, i dont need to type anything, because the file lense
might actually the file i am looking for already ;-)

> With xubuntu/xfce, there is no such feature. The whisker menu and
application finder focus soley _applications_; not on files with user data.
> In earlier years, there was "synapse" as replacement file launcher (using
zeitgeist under the covers) that provided similar functionality.
> But synapse is no longer actively maintained; it isn't even available in
the 14.04 repositories any more.

> So - long story short:
> 1) is there an existing "file lense"-alike solution for xubuntu?
> 2) if not - are there any thoughts/plans to provide it at some point?
>
> Thanks everybody,
> Edwin

Try kupfer ... It's like synapse but in the default repo..