[TEAM] Drop XChat for 14.10

James Freer jessejazza3.uk at gmail.com
Thu Jul 31 20:25:17 UTC 2014

On Thu, 31 Jul 2014, Simon Steinbeiß wrote:
> On Thu, 31 Jul 2014 10:14:12 +0300
> Pasi Lallinaho <pasi at shimmerproject.org> wrote:

>> > -1  I used to use Pidgin's IRC support when I used the other chat
>> > protocols supported in Pidgin.  When XChat was to be added, IIRC, I
>> > originally pushed that we could just use Pidgin for IRC.  However, I
>> > eventually switched to XChat as Pidgin's support for 20+ channels
>> > per server was lacking.  I've been using XChat for a while now and
>> > it seems a very simple to use tool to access freenode amongst other
>> > servers.  I agree with others that have stated in this thread that
>> > since IRC is such an integral part of the Ubuntu community, we'd be
>> > best served to keep an easy to use client like XChat.  If there is
>> > a simpler client that can be integrated, I'd be open to that.
>> >
>> > Thanks,
>> > Micah
>> >

>> Is this argument based on solely on your own needs and wants or the
>> target audience of Xubuntu?
>>
>> I'd argue that most of our target audience users do not wish to join
>> 20+ channels (per server) at a time. On the other hand, those who do
>> know how to install their favorite IRC client from the repositories.
>> They might even prefer other options, like running screen and irssi
>> on a server. In both of these cases the default pick for an IRC
>> client is mostly irrelevant for them.
>>
>> On another note for this discussion, some of the arguments against
>> have been in the spirit of "if we drop Xchat, it's too hard for new
>> people to join the IRC for a support question". How is running Xchat
>> and finding your way to #xubuntu easier than navigating to
>> http://xubuntu.org/irc/ (which is available in our installation
>> slideshow) and clicking connect?
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Pasi
>
> I completely agree with Pasi on this one.
> Even if IRC is an integral part of the Ubuntu community, we currently
> provide three avenues to get there (Webchat, XChat, Pidgin) and the
> argument that Pidgin isn't good enough for advanced IRC usage misses
> the point of this proposal.
> (But I guess the right way to take that is that maybe the proposal was
> flawed or written up to hastily, assuming that since those present at
> the meeting agreed, all others would too, hence not presenting all the
> arguments.)

Hello Simon

> Fun fact: I don't know anyone in person who has installed X/Ubuntu and
> then used IRC to get support. Those folks just used
> your_favorite_search engine.

You do now! I asked a question on a problem and got a quick answer a while back
now.

> This is NOT meant as anecdotal evidence to support my argument, but it
> illustrates that everyone has to accept the premise that IRC is the
> "golden path" for people to get support. (Just because the community
> and the contributors use IRC doesn't mean users will.)

Certainly not a golden path for support. Most of the time I log on few folk are
discussing anything. The #ubuntu channel are a more chatty lot and so are a few
other distro channels I've tried. I think it's fair to say that anyone using
IRC are using it for non IT channels.... like me and I've found Chatzilla to my
liking. How many would miss IRC if it was left off the distro.

james