[TEAM] Drop XChat for 14.10

Pasi Lallinaho pasi at shimmerproject.org
Thu Jul 31 07:14:12 UTC 2014

On 2014-07-31 06:33, Micah Gersten wrote:
> On 07/29/2014 07:10 AM, Simon Steinbeiß wrote:
>> Hey Xubuntu team members,
>>
>> we started voting on a proposal for the default IRC client in today's
>> meeting[0].
>>
>> In short, what we're voting on is whether to drop XChat for Xubuntu
>> 14.10.
>>
>> == Rationale ==
>>
>> Those who need IRC can still use pidgin and this is a consistent move
>> in terms of streamlining our default applications (remember the
>> dropping of GThumb in 14.04).
>> This decision would be revisited for 15.04, so if we'd see the need, we
>> could re-add XChat (or hexchat).
>>
>> == Voting ==
>>
>> Just reply with +1, 0 or -1 to this thread – you can obviously also
>> explain why you voted one or the other way. So far, we have 4 votes
>> from team members for the proposal to drop XChat and 0 against (and 0
>> abstained).
>>
>> Please note that ONLY XUBUNTU TEAM MEMBERS CAN VOTE. Other votes are
>> ignored, so please don't send a vote and waste bandwidth unless you are
>> an active member of the Xubuntu team [1].
>>
>> == End of vote ==
>>
>> This vote will expire in one week (June 6th, 10:00 UTC), so please send
>> in your votes in a timely manner.
>>
>> Cheers
>> Simon
>> Xubuntu Project Lead
>>
>> [0]
>> http://ubottu.com/meetingology/logs/xubuntu-devel/2014/xubuntu-devel.2014-07-29-10.30.log.txt
>> [1] https://launchpad.net/~xubuntu-team/+members#active
>>
> -1  I used to use Pidgin's IRC support when I used the other chat
> protocols supported in Pidgin.  When XChat was to be added, IIRC, I
> originally pushed that we could just use Pidgin for IRC.  However, I
> eventually switched to XChat as Pidgin's support for 20+ channels per
> server was lacking.  I've been using XChat for a while now and it seems
> a very simple to use tool to access freenode amongst other servers.  I
> agree with others that have stated in this thread that since IRC is such
> an integral part of the Ubuntu community, we'd be best served to keep an
> easy to use client like XChat.  If there is a simpler client that can be
> integrated, I'd be open to that.
>
> Thanks,
> Micah

Is this argument based on solely on your own needs and wants or the
target audience of Xubuntu?

I'd argue that most of our target audience users do not wish to join 20+
channels (per server) at a time. On the other hand, those who do know
how to install their favorite IRC client from the repositories. They
might even prefer other options, like running screen and irssi on a
server. In both of these cases the default pick for an IRC client is
mostly irrelevant for them.

On another note for this discussion, some of the arguments against have
been in the spirit of "if we drop Xchat, it's too hard for new people to
join the IRC for a support question". How is running Xchat and finding
your way to #xubuntu easier than navigating to http://xubuntu.org/irc/
(which is available in our installation slideshow) and clicking connect?

Cheers,
Pasi

--
Pasi Lallinaho (knome)                » http://open.knome.fi/