Upgrade Testing

Robin robin.arnaud at gmx.com
Thu Jan 30 10:35:16 UTC 2014

No joy on my attempt to upgrade from a fully-updated 12.04 to 14.04
using 'update-manager -d -c'.

It offered Trusty to upgrade to, told me about the requirements (in
terms of disk space), and estimated the time of download to be 6 minutes
at my connection speed.

After downloading the packages it got stuck on installation,
"configuring apt."  I let it go for hours just to see if it would unlock
itself and get going, but it was just frozen solid.  Hard reboot
failed.  Reinstalled and updated 12.04 with no trouble.

I wish I could brag about upgrading to Trusty!  I've never even
attempted an upgrade before, always preferring a fresh install.  But
hopefully something can be learned from my attempt at least.

My computer is a Dell Dimension:
Computer
Processor 	Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 2.53GHz
Memory 	506MB (339MB used)
Operating System 	Ubuntu 12.04.4 LTS
User Name 	robin (Robin)
Date/Time 	Thu 30 Jan 2014 05:20:21 AM EST
Display
Resolution 	1280x1024 pixels
OpenGL Renderer 	Unknown
X11 Vendor 	The X.Org Foundation
Multimedia
Audio Adapter 	ICH4 - Intel ICH5

Running Xubuntu 12,04 LTS:
Version
Kernel 	Linux 3.2.0-58-generic (i686)
Compiled 	#88-Ubuntu SMP Tue Dec 3 17:40:43 UTC 2013
C Library 	Unknown
Default C Compiler 	GNU C Compiler version 4.6.3 (Ubuntu/Linaro
4.6.3-1ubuntu5)
Distribution 	Ubuntu 12.04.4 LTS
Current Session
Computer Name 	robin-Dell-DE051
User Name 	robin (Robin)
Home Directory 	/home/robin
Desktop Environment 	XFCE 4

I hope this is helpful in some way for a first-time tester!
-Robin