Intro

Robin robin.arnaud at gmx.com
Sun Jan 26 22:17:48 UTC 2014

Hello,

"Elfy" sent me here from Ubuntu Discourse when I expressed some interest
in helping with this awesome distro in some small way.

I have no technical expertise to lend, in fact I'm a bit technophobic.
Yet I have become a Xubuntu "fan" since Lucid (10.04), when Xubuntu was
"the lightweight Ubuntu for older computers."  I have a 12-year-old Dell
Dimension with an old Celeron processor (that supports pae) and 512 of
RAM.  It originally ran Windows XP.

Other than "bragging about Xubuntu," I don't have much to contribute.
Like most users probably, there are a few things that I always change
right after an installation to speed things up on this old relic, like
turning off startup items I don't use and reducing swappiness, that sort
of thing.

I realize that Xubuntu is no longer "the lightweight Ubuntu for older
computers" (according to your Strategy Document) since Lubuntu has come
along, but I would plead with this team to bear a couple of things in
mind  at least for the 13.04 release:

We're about to be joined by a lot of new users - right at the very same
time that Windows XP reaches EOL.  Many many MANY of those folks will be
looking at the Ubuntu family for a replacement, and the majority of them
may have "older" hardware.  Perhaps not as scrawny as mine, but modest
nonetheless.  While I realize that Xfce lends itself to efficiency, I've
found that more recent versions of Xubuntu are slower and more resource
intensive than 12.04 which I'm using now.  While I can add RAM easily
enough, a lot of the folks who will be joining us soon would rather just
buy a new computer. So my plea is, please - at least just for 14.04,
keep Xubuntu "lean and mean" for all the novice users who are sure to be
joining us soon!

I have written about desktop Linux from a "casual" user's perspective on
my humble little weblog for about 2 years, and while I have strayed to
other distros, I always "run home" to Xubuntu when the others (SalixOS,
PCLinuxOS, Mint, even Bodhi) let me down. Lately I've decided to stay
put and become much more familar with just one, rather than bounce
around confusing myself.  Other than writing about it and once in a
while answering a newbie question on the forums and installing Xubuntu
for a friend or two, I'm not sure what else I have to offer, but I'd
love to help in some way if I can.

Very cordially and respectfully,
Robin

"Robin" - on Ubuntu Discourse