Xubuntu minimal install testing (xubuntu-core)

Simon Steinbeiß simon at xfce.org
Fri Feb 14 12:25:15 UTC 2014

On Wed, 29 Jan 2014 22:34:40 -0500 (EST)
Unit 193 <unit193 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Note: The panel will have a few blank icons for the applications normally
> installed, but not in the core meta.  The menu will have very few applications
> listed because there are few installed. The menu will also have multiple
> separators on top of each other because of the missing Ubuntu Software Center
> launcher.
>
> Note: The suggested way to install the core package in the future as well would
> be to use --no-install-recommends. It is also possible to install with tasksel,
> but that can give you slightly different results. (If you are using tasksel, you
> will also get packages in parenthesis.)
> Xubuntu team members, please comment on the proposed seed file:
>
>      Is there something you would drop, add or switch?

No, I think this is really a good/sensible selection.

>      Is the overall composition of packages something what you'd expect from a
>      minimal Xubuntu installation?

Yup.

> And for those of you who have actually tested the metapackage, including those
> who aren't team members:
>
>      While dropping packages, have we still managed to deliver the Xubuntu
>      feel/essence?

Yup, the look&feel is preserved and the basic stuff is there.

>      When testing the metapackage, did you experience anything that you thought
>      was unexpected or -desired? What?

I guess many ppl would expect a browser, but it makes sense to leave that out of -core.

Other than what you mention above (panel, menu) I don't see any issues. In fact, since we're going to drop the launcher-panel, the problem is reduced to the menu-file.
Is there a good way to work around this issue (other than creating a separate package that installs another menu-file)? Anyway, that could still be tackled after feature freeze.

I suggest we move forward with this, i.e. please file a merge-request and let's get it in 14.04 asap!
Nice job, well done!
Cheers
Simon

PS: I've tested the core-install as described, so this is not just based on looking at the seed-file ;)