XFce & Wayland (was: Feedback on desktop convergence changes)

Eero Tamminen oak at helsinkinet.fi
Wed Aug 20 22:23:23 UTC 2014

Hi,

On torstai 21 elokuu 2014, Alistair Buxton wrote:
> On 20 August 2014 21:52, Eero Tamminen <oak at helsinkinet.fi> wrote:
> > Which features (besides window manager) are dependent on X APIs,
> > instead of using abstractions underlying Gtk provides?
>
> xfce4-panel relies on libwnck, which is incompatible with the Wayland
> security model (clients may not request information about other
> clients)
> xfce4-desktop relies on being able to position itself to cover the
> display root, which is also incompatible (clients may not position
> their own windows)
> xfce4-screenshooter is also incompatible (clients may not read back
> arbitrary parts of the display)
>
> Gtk provides abstractions for some of these functions and Xfce uses
> them, but they don't work in Gtk's Wayland backend - they are just
> stubbed out because there is currently no way to implement them that
> will work in all compositors.

Thanks!

Screenshooter is least important (being utility instead of integrated
part of desktop), but I think Wayland needs to provide some API for
that eventually.  AFAIK other desktops have same problem.

What about the first 2 issues, doesn't gnome-shell / desktop have
the same problems as XFce panel and desktop have?

	- Eero