Global Jam: Call For Xubuntu Tasks

Pasi Lallinaho pasi at shimmerproject.org
Tue Aug 19 14:25:25 UTC 2014

On 19/08/14 17:10, David Pires wrote:

>     Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2014 00:27:25 -0400
>     From: Stephen Michael Kellat <skellat at sdf.org
>     <mailto:skellat at sdf.org>>
>     To: xubuntu-devel at lists.ubuntu.com
>     <mailto:xubuntu-devel at lists.ubuntu.com>
>     Subject: Global Jam: Call For Xubuntu Tasks
>
>     Greetings all.  As tasked at the last Xubuntu meeting, I write to
>     ask for folks to consider what tasks would benefit Xubuntu to be
>     undertaken during Ubuntu Global Jam.  Ubuntu Global Jam is a time
>     for local user communities ("LoCo") to actively participate in a
>     major push to get to the end of the development cycle.  The
>     timeframe this cycle is Friday, 12 September 2014 17:00 to Sunday,
>     14 September 2014 22:00 UTC.  With respect to the Utopic Unicorn
>     release schedule, that is the weekend directly after User
>     Interface Freeze hits on Thursday, 11 September 2014.
>     Documentation String Freeze will hit on Thursday, 18 September 2014.
>
>     What is needed at this point are the nomination of tasks that can
>     be given as suggestions to LoCo groups to engage in during the
>     Global Jam.  These need to be things that can be accomplished by a
>     group of varying levels of experience with Xubuntu.  They need to
>     stay within the weekend preferably.  They also should abide by the
>     release schedule to help move us forward.  A reporting loop needs
>     to be built-in so that feedback from the event can be gathered and
>     we have data we can act upon.
>
>     Do we need specific packages tested?  Any last documentation to
>     write?  Seeking new places for pkexec profiles?  Stress-testing
>     the Core?  Patching of things needed?
>

> The end-user documentation is translatable in Launchpad [1]and the
> default cut-off percentage to include translations is 80%.
>
> Up to now there are only two fully translated idioms, Finnish and
> Portuguese. The French (68,94%), Russian (65,65%) and Spanish (48,96%)
> translations are the ones that seem to be good candidates to be
> included in the next release if some more work could be done on them.

To be clear: all of the translations are good candidates, the
aforementioned are just realistic candidates.

It's possible, but though, to finish the translation from scratch within
a weekend with a team of two-three people dedicated to a single language.

--
Pasi Lallinaho (knome)                » http://open.knome.fi/
Leader of the Shimmer Project         » http://shimmerproject.org/