Xubuntu 14.04 released!
pasi at shimmerproject.org
Thu Apr 17 18:59:17 UTC 2014
The Xubuntu team is pleased to announce the immediate release of Xubuntu
14.04. Xubuntu 14.04 is an LTS (Long-Term Support) release and will be
supported for 3 years.
The final release images are available as Torrents and direct downloads at
As the main server will be very busy in the first days after the
release, we recommend using the Torrents wherever possible.
For support with the release, navigate to Help & Support  for a
complete list of methods to get help.
HIGHLIGHTS, CHANGES AND KNOWN ISSUES
The highlights of this release include:
* Light Locker replaces xscreensaver for screen locking, a setting
editing GUI is included
* The panel layout is updated, and now uses Whiskermenu as the default menu
* Mugshot is included to allow you to easily edit your personal preferences
* MenuLibre for menu editing, with full Xfce support, replaces Alacarte
* A community wallpapers package, which includes work from the five
winners of the wallpaper contest
* GTK Theme Config to customize your desktop theme colors
* Updated artwork, including various enhancements to themes as well as a
new default wallpaper
Some of the known issues include:
* Xfce4 Power Manager does not restore screen power (1259339), see
the release notes for details and workarounds
* Window manager shortcut keys don’t work after reboot (1292290)
* Sorting by date or name not working correctly in Ristretto (1270894)
* Due to the switch from xscreensaver to light-locker, some users might
have issues with timing of locking; removing xscreensaver from the
system should fix these problems
* IBus does not support certain keyboard layouts (1284635). Only
affects upgrades with certain keyboard layouts. See release notes for a
To see the complete list of new features, improvements and known and
fixed bugs, read the release notes .
OTHER EFFORTS AND THANKS
As always, contributors to Xubuntu have worked on various projects not
directly visible in the release. While any of these would be worth
mentioning, the following are a few we felt may be of interest to the
* QA efforts, including ISO and package testing as well as bug reporting
* Marketing projects, including work on a flyer to promote Xubuntu for
people still running Windows XP
* Website updates, including a theme refresh
While many of the improvements in Xubuntu since the last LTS are,
indeed, not directly visible. Some of the major improvements have been
in design and theming, and as such we hope that you don’t see them –
good design should be invisible.
Thanks to everybody contributing to Xubuntu! As always, new contributors
are always welcome to join us. There are various different tasks to do,
from testing daily ISOs and new package versions to writing and
translating documentation to fixing bugs. To learn more about
contributing, read the Get Involved sectionon the Xubuntu website.
On behalf on the Xubuntu team,
Xubuntu Project Lead
Pasi Lallinaho (knome) » http://open.knome.fi/
Leader of Shimmer Project and Xubuntu » http://shimmerproject.org/
Graphic artist, webdesigner, Ubuntu member » http://xubuntu.org/
More information about the xubuntu-devel