Who is messing with Ctrl-Alt-F{1,2,3,4,5,6} ?

Richard Elkins richard.elkins at gmail.com
Tue Sep 24 18:22:41 UTC 2013

There are emergencies (E.g. hosed desktop) when one would like to gather
evidence and find out who is doing what to whom -or- who is waiting for
whom.  I have always used Ctrl-Alt-Fn to break out of desktops for this
purpose.  I would have found this quite helpful in writing up a bug
report yesterday.

Unfortunately, it seems that I cannot do this in Xubuntu which is, of
course, XFCE4-based - at least in the later releases.

When I press Ctrl-Alt-F1/2/3/4/5/6, my keyboard and mouse are no longer
functional although the screen is still there.  Is the screen hiding the
tty login prompt?  My getty sessions are running as evidenced by `ps ax
| grep getty` in a terminal window.

Fortunately, when I press F7, I am taken back to normal desktop operation.

Could anyone shed some light on this?  I really would like to learn what
component(s) are causing this anomalous behavior.  And, I'd like to fix
this if possible.  Again, if it is my @#$%^&!!! Intel D2550MUD2
motherboard, I am going to sue Intel into insolvency!  (-:

Thanks,

Richard