New proposed Strategy Document - Text Editor discussion

legacy daily legacydaily at gmail.com
Thu Nov 7 15:02:00 UTC 2013

Geany seems to fulfill multiple editing needs for me. However, it's an easy
install - in terms of default mousepad or leafpad do the job just fine.
Just my 2 cents...

Regarding the Xubuntu strategy, please allow me to add a voice and a few
thoughts but first let me thank you for all your hard work related to this
project. It's an outstanding solution that is rock solid and of high
QUALITY (the larger meaning of the word quality). Since I respect the work
you have done very much, please accept these as my humble suggestions.

1. Would you find it appropriate to include a stronger mention of privacy
and user's rights - diverging from where I see Ubuntu going? I mean
protecting users from unwanted searches and unrequested Amazon suggestions
or other similar steps. If users specifically want such capabilities, let
them choose to install something. Let the OS do nothing to promote and
instead do the opposite (discourage upsteam from building such features
into DEs, exclude packages from default install that do such things, etc.).
I understand the distro makes many choices but let those choices be guided
by principles of freedom and privacy as much as possible.

2. Would you consider expanding the reach of Xubuntu by adding its deltas
to Debian? The polish and style of Xubuntu are superb but the release cycle
and decisions of Ubuntu are not always ideal. How amazing it would be to
have Xubuntu on Debian? I see Xubuntu as not just another Ubuntu but of far
greater potential (because of many factors as an example the choices made
by Unity and Gnome3).

3. Would you consider mention of support for smaller devices (such as
Raspberry PI, etc.) or is this something that you relegate to Ubuntu and
Debian or other distros and outside the scope of Xubuntu? In other words,
in terms of target audience I would hope Xubuntu would be run on huge
servers, small desktops and laptops but also on tiny devices that require
some UI.

Thanks again for your hard work and for making Xubuntu the outstanding
distro that it is today.

- Gevorg

http://legacydaily.com