Magnet links

Elizabeth Krumbach Joseph lyz at ubuntu.com
Thu May 30 18:23:59 UTC 2013

On Mon, May 27, 2013 at 6:23 PM, Jackson Doak <noskcaj at ubuntu.com> wrote:
> to my knowledge, all clients do. vuze and transmission (the default) has
> capabilities for both.
> The extent of work is 30 minutes by one person to make a magnet link and put
> it on the website.
> Implementing this would give us one more thing to be the first to do.

Is this 30 minutes of work that would have to be done every time a new
iso is spun up (so, daily for dev images)? Are you include time to
test these in the 30 minutes? And does it require editing of the
.torrent file that the release team publishes?

I'm wondering if this is a discussion better held Ubuntu-wide rather
than just being done for a single flavor, with the maintenance
overhead falling solely upon us. I'm also wondering on our end if
we're trying to solve a problem that doesn't exist, and spending
precious time doing it (even if we only update them upon release,
release day is already quite insane with us for the number of things
we have to update and limited people power!). I haven't seen evidence
that a lot of people download a .torrent and believe it's an .iso
image (or how this would solve that - an error if they don't have a
torrent client? wouldn't that cause them to believe they can't
download it at all?)

As an aside, since I run all my Ubuntu torrents on a headless server I
prefer access to the .torrent link so I can just wget it on my server.
I had no idea what a magnet link was until reading this thread and am
still not fully clear on the benefit.

http://www.princessleia.com