Manual Test Case Questions (time-admin)

Jack Fromm jjfrv8 at gmail.com
Sun Jul 28 13:56:38 UTC 2013

I've started working on the manual testcase for the time administration
tool (Bug #1184676) and have a couple of questions for the devs and QA
folks.

The first problem occurs when you try to switch the configuration from
'Manual' to 'Keep synchronized with Internet servers'.  Sync requires
the ntp deamon, which is not installed by default, so time-admin gives
the option to install it.  Problem is, it doesn't work.  If synaptic is
not installed, time-admin says it doesn't have the required apps to do
the install.  If synaptic is installed, time-admin either hangs or
crashes.  So, knowing this up front, my question is how to write the
testcase.  Do I say there's a known bug so make sure you install ntp
manually first?  Or write it up like it's supposed to work and just let
people keep finding out it doesn't until it's fixed?

The second issue is that the help file is outdated.  It refers to a
version of time-admin that pre-dates Precise and includes instructions
on how to choose a time server - an option that is no longer offered.
Same question here: what should I say about that in the testcase?

Is this utility still being actively developed?  According to the
changelog, it looks like that last updates happened around Precise.

Thanks,
Jack