Introducing myself - joining Xubuntu Community

Ali Linx (amjjawad) amjjawad at gmail.com
Thu Jul 11 00:57:48 UTC 2013

On Thu, Jul 11, 2013 at 2:50 AM, Pasi Lallinaho <pasi at shimmerproject.org>wrote:

>  On 11/07/13 00:39, Ali Linx (amjjawad) wrote:
>
>  First thing first, Hi Elfy :)
>
>  On Thu, Jul 11, 2013 at 12:52 AM, Elfy <ub.untu at btinternet.com> wrote:
>
>>  On 10/07/13 20:29, Ali Linx (amjjawad) wrote:
>>
>> I'd like now to join another community seeking new challenges. If truth
>> to be told, I have sent to Ubuntu GNOME Team as well but still no reply.
>>
>> Not quite sure to make of this comment.
>>

>  What I meant is: I was with Lubuntu. I resigned. I wanted to try another
> challenge. I have sent an email to join Ubuntu GNOME Team but I did not get
> a reply yet. I have contacted you and Pasi and both advised to send an
> email to this mailing list and it is done. That is what I meant :)
>
>  So, technically, I might join two teams at the same time. Is that a
> problem?
>

> Being a member of multiple teams in itself is not a problem at all.

That is good to know :)

> Asking to join multiple teams at a time and at the same time writing
> you're not sure if you want to join any of those teams on your wikipage on
> the other hand easily leaves people doubting your intentions.

You are right. I will update my page. Sorry for confusion. I wrote that 3-4
days ago because at that time, I had no idea what team shall I apply for?
now, I know so I will update it :) thanks for the reminder :)

> Since you've said you want to scale down your involvement in hours, I
> would also like you to ask yourself if joining two teams simultaneously
> will help you with that goal.

Do not worry about that, I will definitely be careful.

>     I'm eager to meet and get to know you guys. I know last time I sent
>> to this list, I was in hurry and got into details maybe without getting to
>> know you ... but I have learned from that mistake and hope I will take the
>> time and chance to know you and you get the time to know me. I think,
>> getting to know each other is a important key for the project success.
>>

>>  I'm glad that I know some guys already. But of course, I'm looking
>> forward to know the whole team.
>>
>>  I assume you mean people.
>>

>  I meant, I know some members already.
>

> I'm pretty sure Elfy referred us all not being "guys"...

If you mean there are girls/ladies/women with the team, I'm sorry if I used
the wrong word :)

> As I mentioned earlier, the first step, IMHO, is to have a look at my Wiki
>> Page: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/amjjawad. The reason is not only to see my
>> achivement and history but all my details there there, like Social Networks
>> Links :) just recently, I created a Twitter account. Don't like Twitter
>> much but I guess one day, it will be handy :)
>>
>>  I'm having so much ideas and plans but that can be wait. First thing
>> first, let's meet then, we can discuss whatever we want later.
>>
>>   I'd rather know what it is you think you can bring to the team ;)
>>

>  I'd prefer to get to know each and every one first ;)
> Beside, you can have a look at my Wiki Page:
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/amjjawad
> You can read about what I have done with Lubuntu for the last two years.
> I'm sure you will have an idea of where I'm coming from ;)
>

> As I've said, it's a good idea to get to know the team and the way we work
> first.
>
> However, I do agree with Elfy as well. Rather than looking in the past and
> judging people by their previous achievements, the Xubuntu team is here to
> look into the future. In practice, seeing where you come from is fine but
> it is more important to hear how you think you could help Xubuntu (no rush
> with this though).

1- Testing
2- Communications (Social Networks) /Spread the word
3- Help with general discussion over the mailing list, etc.

As of now, these are the areas I'm thinking about. If things will go well
with Xubuntu, I might increase that but no promises here. I'd prefer to
start with these 3 areas first and see how things will develop. How about
that?

Thank you once more for taking the time to read and reply my emails :)

--

"All of us are smarter than any one of us."

*Best Regards,*
*amjjawad <https://wiki.ubuntu.com/amjjawad/>*
*Start Ubuntu<https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Lubuntu/CommunicationsTeam/WOWLubuntu/StartUbuntu>
*