Converting a Windows 7 user to Xubuntu 13.10 & Miscellaneous Observations about Xubuntu 13.10

Richard Elkins richard.elkins at gmail.com
Sun Dec 15 05:46:16 UTC 2013

Thanks, Peter.

You converted Visio 10 files to SVG and import them to Inkscape?  I hope
so!  I'll keep that in mind.  I really miss Visio; too bad they did not
go open source instead of being bought by Microsoft.

I have never seen `wine` successfully handle Photoshop in the past.  You
did?  Also, Photoshop all by itself is a HUGE resource hog and sever
slowpoke so adding the wine emulation layer is going to make it even worse.

My big Outlook issue was not Outlook Express.  It was the full Office
Outlook fat client with zillions of calendar entries, about 5 years of
mail, and about 500 notes.  Outlook Basic was able to save everything
into sequential files so I could import them into Yahoo Notepad and
Calendar.  The mails had to be scraped into flat text (ugh) and stored
as Yahoo Notepad entries.  As I said, I don't recommend this.  There are
probably workable solutions to transforming Outlook files to Evolution.

Stealing software is, unfortunately, too easy ---> various Bittorrent
sites to download ISOs and product key generators.  I've tried to argue
the morality of the issue but people just rationalize theft when they
feel they cannot afford $300 for Microsoft Office or $600 for Photoshop.

Richard