Converting a Windows 7 user to Xubuntu 13.10 & Miscellaneous Observations about Xubuntu 13.10

Jackson Doak noskcaj at ubuntu.com
Sat Dec 14 18:32:58 UTC 2013

   - Gamers and XBox owners.  I said "potential".  If this is a teenager,
   you can try to sell them about the rebellious open source community!  (-:

I'm offended, but that would probably work on some

   - Migration of Microsoft Office to LibreOffice - Fortunately, the
   Microsoft Word-documents, Powerpoint-presentations, and Excel-spreadsheets
   are normally converted without too many issues; some will probably require
   some manual cleaning up.  The big obstacle here is the Visio drawing tool.
   There isn't a way that I could find to convert their drawings to be
   imported by `dia` or other Linux drawing tools.  Mine too.

Just make sure they know how to save in a word readable format, otherwise
there will be a lot of hate coming at you.

   - Photoshop to The Gimp?  Photoshop is very complex to operate and so is
   the Gimp.  I could not find a way to migrate one artist (my daughter) from
   Windows to Linux because of this single issue (she is already a Firefox and
   LibreOffice user).  I don't think she is unusual in her disdain for
   large-scale change of habits.

Point people to something like pinta that is slightly easier to learn if
they don't need every feature ever made.