Open positions to work on Xubuntu officially?

Michael Lueck mlueck at lueckdatasystems.com
Mon Dec 9 02:21:12 UTC 2013

Greetings,

I have enjoyed using Xubuntu as an Ubuntu alternative since 12.04. I have been 10 years on Debian style distros (server/firewall usage), Ubuntu since 7.04, desktop Linux since late 2007, and decided
to avoid both Unity and Gnome 3 switching to the X flavor when I transitioned from Ubuntu 10.04 to Xubuntu 12.04.

The Xfce environment really makes sense to me... I find it even more like OS/2's WPS than Gnome 2, which I understood took direction from WPS.

Anyway... this weekend I noticed:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xubuntu#History

Sounds like there might be need for more people to officially be working on Xubuntu.

I pulled down the 13.10 ISO so I could boot a ThinkPad T540p machine which 12.04 would not boot on due to the new UEFI Secure Boot.

At first glance I still do not see integrated Samba share GUI browsing support booted in LiveCD mode. It has already been a long time since the last LTS release... 12.04. Is there some sort of a
roadmap the Xubuntu team is working on that such milestones would be listed on? Are there any official openings which I could join Canonical and be dedicated mostly to working on Xubuntu?

Blessings,
Michael Lueck