Bug #1208204 - "indicator-sound no longer functions with xfce4-indicator-plugin"

Richard Elkins richard.elkins at gmail.com
Thu Dec 5 18:19:22 UTC 2013

The issues with bug #1208204 are these:

(1) The complaints began in July.  As of 70 milliseconds ago, this bug
is not assigned to anyone, with a status of "Undecided", and still
marked as "New" to Ubuntu Studio.
(2) See Peter Flynn's earlier mail.  Well-articulated IMO.
(3) If the indicator-sound package is re-released without a fix to
#1208204 (and this has happened at least once), then you have to apply
the patch again.  Maybe again and again.  And so on.

In message #69 of the bug report, there is an attachment is an automated
patch for XFCE users which obviates the need to manually edit the file
each time indicator-sound is rolled out without a fix to this issue.  It
does take care that it is being used by an XFCE user.  However, it's
still a work-around.   A lesser of evils.

Some other solutions for non-tech users seeking a light-weight desktop:
(2) Replace Xubuntu with Lubuntu/LXDE.
(3) Replace Xubuntu with Mint/MATE.

In any of them, users must take care to backup their data somewhere safe
before doing a new ground-up installation.  All of them are disruptive
and personal time-wasters.

Richard