Bug #1208204 - "indicator-sound no longer functions with xfce4-indicator-plugin"

Bruno Benitez gridcube at gmail.com
Thu Dec 5 17:12:59 UTC 2013

Hi, Pjtor, I am not a programmer, but I see a huge problem with your "very
easy" fix, you see, xubuntu shares most and almost all their setting from
mainbuntu, so the file /usr/share/dbus-1/services/indicator-sound.service
belongs to all the *buntu multiverse, changing its content would have
affected all the flavours and then break the ubuntu's panels. Xubuntu would
have needed an "special" indicator-sound.service and all the programs that
call the service would have to be tuned to use this, as far as i
understand.

> Now I readily admit that I'm no developer and I can't fabricate an update
> package that does this, but *it looks* dead simple to do, in my layman's
> eyes. And it *would* be a big Public Relations bonus for Xubuntu 13.10.

It is one of the recommended solutions, to be applied by xubuntu users
manually, again we can not ship a modified file because it would break the
rest of the flavours.

I agree that this was not a nice thing to happen, and that maybe some silly
workaround (like simply adding a panel launcher to pavucontrol as default,
or adding a standalone sound applet) might have been preferrable, but at
the moment no one of us though about this.

I can not speak for the rest of xubuntu but I feel a bit ashamed that we
let this go through so far as it did.

--
Br
uno.-