Bug #1208204 - "indicator-sound no longer functions with xfce4-indicator-plugin"

Pasi Lallinaho pasi at shimmerproject.org
Thu Dec 5 10:24:51 UTC 2013

Altogether this is an unfortunate situation, but there was little we
could do in time to get it fixed.

For 14.04, we're looking to migrate to a panel that has GTK3 support.
This should fix all the indicator issues/breakages that happened in the
last few cycles. This was one of the options for 13.10, but at that
point of time we the patch was relatively untested, wasn't in the
repositories and we were really short on time.

The other option wasn't trivial either, and would have taken valuable
developer time as well. In the end, trying to fix the GTK2 indicator
stack would have meant a lot of work to get it working for 13.10.
Whether we would have continued with that stack or not for 14.04 had it
been done can't be evaluated. It's pretty certain that the GTK2
indicator stack would have kept on breaking, and we would have had to
continue fixing those issues.

All this being said, we shall look at backporting the GTK3 indicators to
13.10 later when the work on them is done. However, since I don't
contribute to packaging or code-development, I'm the wrong person to say
if this is likely or not.

I see how people switching to other distros or back to older versions of
Xubuntu could be considered a bad thing. From my personal point of view
(all Xubuntu hats off), I don't think other open source OS's are our
competitors. People have very different needs and workflows and they
should use whatever works for them, whether it was Xubuntu, Ubuntu or
any of its flavors or something completely different.

Ultimately, 13.10 is not an LTS release, and those who want the maximum
stability should keep with the LTS's. Again, it's unfortunate but things
are going to break now and then. Now let's try to make 14.04 better; you
all are welcome to help us with testing and whatever your skills and
time allow!

Cheers,
Pasi