Xubuntu Saucy on Mir/XMir

Brandon Watkins bwat47 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 5 15:43:16 UTC 2013

I'd just like to say I'm glad xubuntu devs are considering xmir. I briefly
tested the ISO on my laptop (system 76 lemu4 with intel hd4000 graphics),
and I'd like to discuss the one very important advantage I noticed to this
configuration as opposed to pure X.

When running Xubuntu on xmir, I got NO VIDEO TEARING!. This had always been
my biggest issue with XFCE/XFWM, the ugly video tearing when scrolling in
firefox, watching videos, moving windows etc... I had always had to resort
to using a 3rd party opengl compositor (and I'd rather not, I prefer to use
the native WM). the best alternative I had found was using compton which
allowed for tear-free opengl compositing without replacing XFWM, but it had
some weirdness with how it drew shadows.

In my testing of the ISO on intel HD4000 there was absolutely no tearing,
and smooth scrolling in firefox was butter-smooth. I watched a fullscreen
html5 video and again, no tearing! For this reason alone I hope xubuntu
strongly considers using this! IMO video tearing is not acceptably on a
modern desktop!