Connecting wi-fi during install

Scott Moore scottbomb at hotmail.com
Wed Apr 3 13:25:14 UTC 2013


While installing the ISO yesterday for a daily test, I learned that an 
ethernet cable had gone bad. The laptop then tried to connect to wi-fi 
during the installation. However, it did not attempt to connect until after 
the screen that asks me to make sure I'm connected to the internet in order 
to download updates during the installation. After I connected to the 
wireless router, it did go back to that screen and gave me the opportunity 
to check the box to download updates. As a suggestion, I would have the 
installer prompt the user to connect to wi-fi before presenting the option 
to download updates. In other words, when the only NIC available is a 
wireless NIC, the screen called "Wireless" should come before the screen 
called "Preparing to Install Xubuntu".

- Scott

-----Original Message----- 
From: xubuntu-devel-request at lists.ubuntu.com
Sent: Tuesday, April 02, 2013 10:59 PM
To: xubuntu-devel at lists.ubuntu.com
Subject: xubuntu-devel Digest, Vol 91, Issue 5

Send xubuntu-devel mailing list submissions to
xubuntu-devel at lists.ubuntu.com

To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/xubuntu-devel
or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to
xubuntu-devel-request at lists.ubuntu.com

You can reach the person managing the list at
xubuntu-devel-owner at lists.ubuntu.com

When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific
than "Re: Contents of xubuntu-devel digest..."


Today's Topics:

   1. Re: xubuntu 13.04: gtk3 themes broken? (Simon Steinbei?)
   2. Re: Electing the new project lead (Ho Wan Chan)
   3. Re: xubuntu 13.04: gtk3 themes broken? (Kristian Rink)
   4. Re: Electing the new project lead (Jackson Doak)
   5. Call to testing, beta 2. (Jackson Doak)
   6. Re: Electing the new project lead (Stephen Michael Kellat)


----------------------------------------------------------------------

Message: 1
Date: Tue, 2 Apr 2013 17:50:11 +0200
From: Simon Steinbei? <simon.steinbeiss at elfenbeinturm.at>
To: Xubuntu Development Discussion <xubuntu-devel at lists.ubuntu.com>
Subject: Re: xubuntu 13.04: gtk3 themes broken?
Message-ID: <20130402175011.0d8adf1d at artichoque>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8

Hi Kristian,

On Sat, 30 Mar 2013 20:29:19 +0100
Kristian Rink <kr at zimmer428.net> wrote:

> running Xubuntu 13.04 current builds on two different machines, I just
> recently am experiencing issues with theming in GTK3 based applications.
> Please see image attached (gthumb menu). Tried GreyDay and GreyBird
> theme it always comes down to these black lines between menu items, plus
> fonts looking different in menus here and there, too.

What is "GreyDay"? That's definitely not a theme that we ship by default, so 
better consult the theme-author. With respect to Greybird, could you please 
check which version you're using or from where you got it?

> Is this a known issue or just my machine? Anything to be done to track
> and eventually resolve (or at least work around) this?

This is definitely not a known issue and I can't reproduce that here. In 
order to track this properly, I'd like to ask you to file a bug report 
against the shimmer-themes package ? at least for the Greybird portion of 
the problem. (For GreyDay you'll have to contact the author of that theme.)
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/shimmer-themes/+filebug

Cheers,
Simon

PS: Currently there is a menubar-problem in Greybird that I'm aware of, I 
hope we can get the fix uploaded soon.



------------------------------

Message: 2
Date: Wed, 3 Apr 2013 00:33:43 +0800
From: Ho Wan Chan <smartboyhw at gmail.com>
To: Xubuntu Development Discussion <xubuntu-devel at lists.ubuntu.com>
Subject: Re: Electing the new project lead
Message-ID:
<CA+2XN5+DfpKH560mFFNufEmnOtTAQ=F5jPvKq8-8Gwwd+tf0KA at mail.gmail.com>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="big5"

Strange to say that, but Jackson your nomination is not exactly valid.

It is clearly written in Pasi's announcement that members of the Xubuntu
Users Launchpad team can nominate and vote on a new Xubuntu Project Lead.
And as I see from your Launchpad page (https://launchpad.net/~doak-jackson)
you aren't in that group. Henceforth your nomination will be invalid....

So Jackson, join the Xubuntu Users Launchpad Team first.

Regards,
Howard Chan (smartboyhw)
On 2013-4-2 ??2:26, "Jackson Doak" <doak.jackson at gmail.com> wrote:

> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Noskcaj is my submission, i would bet on Pasi
> getting it though.
>
>
> On Tue, Apr 2, 2013 at 5:17 PM, Jackson Doak 
> <doak.jackson at gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> :(
>> i'll have to do that then
>>
>>
>> On Tue, Apr 2, 2013 at 5:09 PM, Elizabeth Krumbach <lyz at ubuntu.com>wrote:
>>
>>> On Mon, Apr 1, 2013 at 10:58 PM, Jackson Doak <doak.jackson at gmail.com>
>>> wrote:
>>> > do i need to have signed the code of conduct?
>>>
>>> We don't strictly state this in our Strategy Document, but since
>>> Xubuntu is part of the Ubuntu community which is governed by the CoC
>>> we expect our members to adhere to it, and certainly our leaders. So,
>>> I'd say "yes."
>>>
>>> --
>>> Elizabeth Krumbach // Lyz // pleia2
>>> http://www.princessleia.com
>>>
>>> --
>>> xubuntu-devel mailing list
>>> xubuntu-devel at lists.ubuntu.com
>>> https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/xubuntu-devel
>>>
>>
>>
>
> --
> xubuntu-devel mailing list
> xubuntu-devel at lists.ubuntu.com
> https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/xubuntu-devel
>
>
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: 
<https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/xubuntu-devel/attachments/20130403/daf760c0/attachment-0001.html>

------------------------------

Message: 3
Date: Tue, 02 Apr 2013 20:09:51 +0200
From: Kristian Rink <kr at zimmer428.net>
To: Simon Steinbei?  <simon.steinbeiss at elfenbeinturm.at>
Cc: Xubuntu Development Discussion <xubuntu-devel at lists.ubuntu.com>
Subject: Re: xubuntu 13.04: gtk3 themes broken?
Message-ID: <515B1EEF.5000700 at zimmer428.net>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8

Hi Simon, all;

Am 02.04.2013 17:50, schrieb Simon Steinbei?:
> What is "GreyDay"? That's definitely not a theme that we ship by
> default, so better consult the theme-author. With respect to
> Greybird, could you please check which version you're using or from
> where you got it?

Hmmm, seems indeed a custom theme still living in my .themes for a
while. Strange, as this "issue" on the two machines actually appears
with Grey/BlueBird, as well. Yet:

> This is definitely not a known issue and I can't reproduce that here.
> In order to track this properly, I'd like to ask you to file a bug
> report against the shimmer-themes package ? at least for the Greybird
> portion of the problem.

I will try to hunt it down. Actually, I can reproduce it on both netbook
and laptop, yet after downloading a "clean" nightly Xubuntu 13.04 ISO
and booting into this, things work as expected with any of the *bird
themes. Strange. Feeling a bit dumb right now for not trying this
earlier. I'll see whether I can find what's going on here. Thanks for
your help, meanwhile, greatly appreciated.

All the best,
Kristian



------------------------------

Message: 4
Date: Wed, 3 Apr 2013 07:22:25 +1100
From: Jackson Doak <doak.jackson at gmail.com>
To: Xubuntu Development Discussion <xubuntu-devel at lists.ubuntu.com>
Subject: Re: Electing the new project lead
Message-ID:
<CA+K2i_3_pTijkeo95vJcd7ahVGtZMhFWYapMfZqyRU=M2qfCHA at mail.gmail.com>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="utf-8"

oops, will do.


On Wed, Apr 3, 2013 at 3:33 AM, Ho Wan Chan <smartboyhw at gmail.com> wrote:

> Strange to say that, but Jackson your nomination is not exactly valid.
>
> It is clearly written in Pasi's announcement that members of the Xubuntu
> Users Launchpad team can nominate and vote on a new Xubuntu Project Lead.
> And as I see from your Launchpad page 
> (https://launchpad.net/~doak-jackson)
> you aren't in that group. Henceforth your nomination will be invalid....
>
> So Jackson, join the Xubuntu Users Launchpad Team first.
>
> Regards,
> Howard Chan (smartboyhw)
> On 2013-4-2 ??2:26, "Jackson Doak" <doak.jackson at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Noskcaj is my submission, i would bet on Pasi
>> getting it though.
>>
>>
>> On Tue, Apr 2, 2013 at 5:17 PM, Jackson Doak 
>> <doak.jackson at gmail.com>wrote:
>>
>>> :(
>>> i'll have to do that then
>>>
>>>
>>> On Tue, Apr 2, 2013 at 5:09 PM, Elizabeth Krumbach 
>>> <lyz at ubuntu.com>wrote:
>>>
>>>> On Mon, Apr 1, 2013 at 10:58 PM, Jackson Doak <doak.jackson at gmail.com>
>>>> wrote:
>>>> > do i need to have signed the code of conduct?
>>>>
>>>> We don't strictly state this in our Strategy Document, but since
>>>> Xubuntu is part of the Ubuntu community which is governed by the CoC
>>>> we expect our members to adhere to it, and certainly our leaders. So,
>>>> I'd say "yes."
>>>>
>>>> --
>>>> Elizabeth Krumbach // Lyz // pleia2
>>>> http://www.princessleia.com
>>>>
>>>> --
>>>> xubuntu-devel mailing list
>>>> xubuntu-devel at lists.ubuntu.com
>>>> https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/xubuntu-devel
>>>>
>>>
>>>
>>
>> --
>> xubuntu-devel mailing list
>> xubuntu-devel at lists.ubuntu.com
>> https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/xubuntu-devel
>>
>>
> --
> xubuntu-devel mailing list
> xubuntu-devel at lists.ubuntu.com
> https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/xubuntu-devel
>
>
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: 
<https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/xubuntu-devel/attachments/20130403/924f296a/attachment-0001.html>

------------------------------

Message: 5
Date: Wed, 3 Apr 2013 07:27:47 +1100
From: Jackson Doak <doak.jackson at gmail.com>
To: Xubuntu Development Discussion <xubuntu-devel at lists.ubuntu.com>
Subject: Call to testing, beta 2.
Message-ID:
<CA+K2i_3ugK9XvVAQuor9DX4xFSkWkrGCyfm26gRq08O-Vj3y6Q at mail.gmail.com>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1"

beta 2 comes out on thursday, we need you to get some testing done. Any
testing you can do would help a lot, especially if you can run either
auto-resize (install beside windows) or the post-install tests.

If anyone thinks they are able to make autopilot testcases for us, please
contact nicholas as he seems to be leading that charge. autopilot has so
far been for unity only, but if we get it to xubuntu we would find many
more of the little bugs.

also, can someone fix bug
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xfwm4/+bug/1110158 as it is a
rather big worry.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: 
<https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/xubuntu-devel/attachments/20130403/0b01b2cd/attachment-0001.html>

------------------------------

Message: 6
Date: Tue, 2 Apr 2013 23:59:34 -0400
From: Stephen Michael Kellat <skellat at fastmail.net>
To: Xubuntu Development Discussion <xubuntu-devel at lists.ubuntu.com>
Subject: Re: Electing the new project lead
Message-ID: <20130402235934.a51875ca6fab6ac6200e5077 at fastmail.net>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8

Since Jackson went ahead and fixed his membership on Launchpad as of seven 
hours ago I am minded to consider that defect in the original nomination 
fixed.  Signing the Code of Conduct would be helpful, too, though apparently 
the strategy document doesn't require that.

Stephen Michael Kellat
https://launchpad.net/~skellat
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/skellat

On Wed, 3 Apr 2013 07:22:25 +1100
Jackson Doak <doak.jackson at gmail.com> wrote:

> oops, will do.
>
>
> On Wed, Apr 3, 2013 at 3:33 AM, Ho Wan Chan <smartboyhw at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Strange to say that, but Jackson your nomination is not exactly valid.
> >
> > It is clearly written in Pasi's announcement that members of the Xubuntu
> > Users Launchpad team can nominate and vote on a new Xubuntu Project 
> > Lead.
> > And as I see from your Launchpad page 
> > (https://launchpad.net/~doak-jackson)
> > you aren't in that group. Henceforth your nomination will be invalid....
> >
> > So Jackson, join the Xubuntu Users Launchpad Team first.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Howard Chan (smartboyhw)
> > On 2013-4-2 ??2:26, "Jackson Doak" <doak.jackson at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Noskcaj is my submission, i would bet on Pasi
> >> getting it though.
> >>
> >>
> >> On Tue, Apr 2, 2013 at 5:17 PM, Jackson Doak 
> >> <doak.jackson at gmail.com>wrote:
> >>
> >>> :(
> >>> i'll have to do that then
> >>>
> >>>
> >>> On Tue, Apr 2, 2013 at 5:09 PM, Elizabeth Krumbach 
> >>> <lyz at ubuntu.com>wrote:
> >>>
> >>>> On Mon, Apr 1, 2013 at 10:58 PM, Jackson Doak 
> >>>> <doak.jackson at gmail.com>
> >>>> wrote:
> >>>> > do i need to have signed the code of conduct?
> >>>>
> >>>> We don't strictly state this in our Strategy Document, but since
> >>>> Xubuntu is part of the Ubuntu community which is governed by the CoC
> >>>> we expect our members to adhere to it, and certainly our leaders. So,
> >>>> I'd say "yes."
> >>>>
> >>>> --
> >>>> Elizabeth Krumbach // Lyz // pleia2
> >>>> http://www.princessleia.com
> >>>>
> >>>> --
> >>>> xubuntu-devel mailing list
> >>>> xubuntu-devel at lists.ubuntu.com
> >>>> https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/xubuntu-devel
> >>>>
> >>>
> >>>
> >>
> >> --
> >> xubuntu-devel mailing list
> >> xubuntu-devel at lists.ubuntu.com
> >> https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/xubuntu-devel
> >>
> >>
> > --
> > xubuntu-devel mailing list
> > xubuntu-devel at lists.ubuntu.com
> > https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/xubuntu-devel
> >
> >



------------------------------

-- 
xubuntu-devel mailing list
xubuntu-devel at lists.ubuntu.com
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/xubuntu-devel


End of xubuntu-devel Digest, Vol 91, Issue 5
******************************************** 





More information about the xubuntu-devel mailing list