Unable to auth to new WEP network, NetworkManager "No agents were available for this request"

Chris Bainbridge chris.bainbridge at gmail.com
Thu Sep 20 01:35:30 UTC 2012

I'm using Xubuntu ("Precise" release) with all latest updates. When
trying to connect to a new protected wifi network (by clicking on the
network name in nm-applet from the taskbar) I get a timeout and error
from NetworkManager: "No agents were available for this request". I
have tried with several networks and get the same.

Syslog shows:

Aug 29 21:37:03 andrea NetworkManager[848]: <info> Activation (wlan0)
Stage 2 of 5 (Device Configure) complete.
Aug 29 21:37:28 andrea NetworkManager[848]: <warn> No agents were
available for this request.
Aug 29 21:37:28 andrea NetworkManager[848]: <info> (wlan0): device
state change: need-auth -> failed (reason 'no-secrets') [60 120 7]

I presume NetworkManager is trying to ask nm-applet for a passphrase
but this fails for some reason and the process times out after 25
seconds. I filed bug #1043551 on Launchpad
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/network-manager-applet/+bug/1043551

Any ideas? I don't understand why I have not seen more reports of
others encountering this bug, it would seem to be very prominent. I
can connect to a network okay if I manually define it in nm-applet
("Edit Connections...") but not if I just click on the applet icon and
then click on the network name as I suppose most people would do.