Implementation of a mouse adaptor relevator

Jari Rahkonen jari.rahkonen at pp1.inet.fi
Sun Sep 2 14:05:51 UTC 2012

02.09.2012 15:23, Alessandro Yahoo wrote:
> I know that could be written some scripts in order to make this kind of
> control, but I think that, will be a good way in order to help new
> people to start using linux.
> Many times, my father says to me that It's very fast linux and stable
> but he isn't able to install program or do such thing that require some
> knowledge of the bash or something else.
> So, in my opinion, my request's aim was to introduce another element in
> order to make xubuntu more user friendly and in order to grant also to
> common people to use.
> Is that a bad idea?
>
> Alessandro Suglia

I think having a dialog pop up every time is unnecessary. I'd bet you
either want to disable your touchpad every time you connect a mouse or
you don't. There should optimally be a checkbox in the Xfce touchpad
settings panel to disable the device if an external mouse is detected.

The volume manager configuration suggested by Simon isn't exactly an
intuitive place for this functionality. Also the current implementation
does not seem to allow running a script when a mouse is removed, so the
touchpad needs to be manually re-enabled anyway.

Personally I've assigned a dedicated keyboard shortcut (fn+F5 on my Dell
N-series) to a simple bash script using synclient to toggle the touchpad
on and off.

- Jari