Implementation of a mouse adaptor relevator

Simon Steinbeiß simon.steinbeiss at elfenbeinturm.at
Sun Sep 2 09:19:50 UTC 2012

On Sun, 02 Sep 2012 10:14:24 +0200
Alessandro Yahoo <alessandro.suglia at yahoo.com> wrote:

> For example, in my case,  if I'm using my notebook and I connect my
> mouse device, I can still use the touchpad and I have to disable it from
> the "Settings Panel".
> I find it quite uncomfortable so I think that could be a good idea to
> create a specific daemon which recognize this type of situation and
> grant to the user the possibility to manage this kind of problem, giving
> to him the possibility to switch directly from the panel, the device
> that he wants to continue to use.

Thunar's volume manager enables you to run a script or programme once a mouse gets connected (in the Settings Manager, go to "Removable drives and media", there to the "Input devices" tab).
So in a way all this needs is a script which enables/disables your touchpad depending on user-input, or (and I think that makes more sense) based on a preference. I guess there are hardly situations where you'd want to use the internal touchpad when you connect a mouse, but maybe that's just me :)

Cheers,
Simon