bug with encrypted volumes at boot

Rob moo.moomoo.mr at googlemail.com
Sat Oct 27 03:10:12 UTC 2012

xubuntu 12.10

On a fresh install using LVM + encyption there is a installation bug
with the keyboard layout. Using an encryption passphrase of say:

asdfgh

will work fine and upon reboot, and the system takes you to the login
screen. But if you use an encryption password of

asdfgh"

It will fail. I believe this is because the keymap is not getting loaded
before the encrypt hook? And it is defaulting to US English (rather than
the UK Engligh I specified on installation).

I tested by reinstalling and using:

asdfgh"

as the passphrase, and upon reboot, it is not accepted, but entering

asdfgh@

Is accepted as the passphrase, this is due to the difference in layout
from US to UK keyboards.

shift + 2 = @, on a US layout

shift + ' = @, on a UK layout

Hope I have explained this well ...