Wish list for Xubuntu 13.04

Bruno Benitez gridcube at gmail.com
Fri Nov 30 15:53:39 UTC 2012

2012/11/30 Joshua O'Leary <jmoey139 at gmail.com>

> The HUD is a part of unity, and so it would take a lot of work to make it
> a separate codebase. Would Xubuntu even benefit from a HUD? It would
> probably mean adding HUD code to xfwm, but I don't think it would tie in
> with XFCE's philosophy of being a fast, simple desktop environment.
>

> Bruno Benitez <gridcube at gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>> 2012/11/30 Joshua O'Leary <jmoey139 at gmail.com>
>>
>>>  A control-alt-t shortcut may be useful for terminal, though this is
>>> already very easy to set up in the settings manager.
>>>

>> we have had shortcuts for that and some others since 12.04, see
>> http://xubuntu.org/news/12-04-release/
>>

>> If i can chip my wishlist here, ill do that, i want HUD integration on
>> xubuntu. Thats it.

I think that HUD integration would help on making a fast and simple desktop
enviroment, you dont need to lose the menus to use HUD. The dependencies
for it are really low so far, see https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Unity/HUD and
http://packages.ubuntu.com/quantal/indicator-appmenu-tools  .

It doesnt even need Unity.

I think that HUD integration will provide better accesibilty to special
need users, blind users, people with low mobility problems like MS, just to
say some examples.

It will provide a better interrelation between mainbuntu's objectives
aswell, and it will basically use the power of new technologies on xubuntu,
it can make it "prettier" as some people has been complaining xubuntu is
not (though I dissagree).

one other point to HUD integration is that google docs now uses a similar
concept for their menus :D, dont know how that helps but i like it.

--
Bruno.-